Unemployment benefits in Switzerland article from Adm In ME

Losing your job may be a significant reason for concern if you are foreign national and hold a Swiss residency permit. Becoming suddenly unemployed in Switzerland automatically affects the validity of your residence permit.

If you are a citizen of an EU or EFTA member state you can apply for a new permit even if you are unemployed. However, you will need to show proof of sufficient financial support for the upcoming period and have a valid health and accident insurance

The very first thing to do if become unemployed is to register with RAV (Regionales Arbeitsvermittlungszentrum – Local Unemployment Center). You will find the RAV centers distributed by regions on the RAV official webrsite. Once you are registered as unemployed at the RAV center, you should immediately start searching for a new job. Otherwise, there is a high risk that your claim for compensation is canceled. A trial period of seven days is usually offered. If one does not start searching for work straight away, he is likely to lose their unemployment benefits.

For employees hired on fixed-term contracts, it is recommended that they begin searching for a new job three months before their current contract expires.

Even if have been employed in Switzerland by a foreign company, you are still eligible for unemployment benefits. The only necessary condition is to pay unemployment contributions in time.

Feeling confused about unemployment benefits in Switzerland? Contact our local Swiss office at swiss@admin-me.com to get more information.